Irony and Corrugated Boxes

Many of you know that I spent about a year after finishing my Masters degree working at a paper company, specifically in the part of the group that focused on making corrugated board and boxes. For just over a year, the majority of my time was spent thinking and stressing about getting the right paper to my box plants so they could keep on making those boxes.

It sounds dull, and I was so excited when I was out of the world of boxes…but somehow, once it’s in you, you can never seem to escape it. Anytime I see corrugated anything, I take quick notice of it, and I love to check the stamps on the bottom of boxes so I can check to see if they come from one of “my” plants. I haven’t hit the jackpot yet, but it’s bound to happen someday.

I thought I was done working with boxes, but I quickly realized that this summer I would spend quite a bit of time working with boxes. One of our studies is looking into the effects of AR on depth perception, and we quickly chose boxes as our “object” to be tested. It’s gone through many iterations, but it started with just plain boxes…

2014-05-28 11.29.39

Then we added wheels, to make them easier to move, of course.

2014-05-28 11.29.48

We painted it black next…

2014-06-09 16.15.50

Upon arrival to the UK, we upgraded our corrugated style. Hugh Jackman keeps us company during the workdays.

2014-06-23 11.51.20

Of course, we need him to move (he’s our trusty “pedestrian”) so we had to attach him to a cart. In the process, we might have hurt him a little bit.

2014-06-25 15.34.11 2014-06-25 15.43.59

Nadia is the one in the pictures. She’s working hard to give Hugh the support he needs to walk straight and tall.

2014-06-25 15.26.00

Of course, we make some time to have a little fun while we’re working.

1 Comment

One Response to Irony and Corrugated Boxes

1. ipsuks

“the majority of my time was spent thinking and stressing about getting the right paper to my box plants so they could keep on making those boxes.”

The rest of the time was spent hiding and drinking coffee with some pretty awesome coworkers.