Running around

We’ve officially been in Nottingham for a couple of days now, so we’ve finally started to settle in. Monday started with a quick tour of campus and a delightful breakfast overlooking the lake (pictures to come in a later post). We got to meet with our UNott contact, Gary Burnett, and we began the Nottingham portion of research. We’re only just beginning, but we did get to play around with the Pioneer AR display some. After work, we went to Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem. There’s a lot of folklore to go along with the place, but the most notable thing about this restaurant is that supposedly it’s the oldest pub in England…if you ask someone from Nottingham anyways. It’s also built into the rock at the bottom of Nottingham Castle. Pretty cool!

2014-06-23 18.00.30

After dinner, we went and found the famous Robin Hood statue that’s just around the corner. It’s also at the base of the castle. I’m saving the castle visit for the future. I’ll report back once I tour it! We had way too much fun and definitely acted like loud Americans!

2014-06-23 20.08.20 2014-06-23 20.13.44

Today’s research got a little more hands on. We even got some more of our tools for the research. This is a life-size cardboard cutout of a car that we might use. Gary picked the color, and yes – it’s pink.

2014-06-24 12.09.27

After work, I decided to go for a run. I originally planned to run into Nottingham City center, but mid-run I decided to change my plans. Our campus is right next to the massive Wollaton Park. I heard that there were these practically tame deer in the park and I thought I remembered that Wayne Manor was in there too. I wasn’t certain, and I actually lost hope about the mansion. Luckily, I was wrong. There were just so many trees blocking my view that I couldn’t see the house until I was right next to it. Stunning…

2014-06-24 19.08.13

The house was set high on a hill, with a beautiful view and the grounds were near perfect. I feel like the thing that makes England feel most different from the US is the attention to detail when it comes to parks. There just don’t seem to be parks like this in the US…maybe central park. But that’s just one park in a huge city, while these parks are plentiful around Nottingham and the UK (and really Europe in general).

2014-06-24 19.12.27

There was also this beautiful lake to run around. I accidentally ran through some restricted area…whoops! On the other side it only said that no dogs were allowed, I promise! Either way, it was a successful exploration of the city. I decided to skip the Elton John concert and so far, I’m glad I did. I had a relaxing evening that’s left me feeling rejuvenated and excited about working tomorrow. Here’s to hoping we can get my PowerPoint VBA code working so I can contribute to the research projects as well!

2014-06-24 19.14.38 2014-06-24 19.23.15