Walking Down the Alter to Have Dialogues

When it comes to critical pedagogy, I think teachers’ self-reflection and the definition of the relationship between themselves and students really matter. 

When the teachers see themselves as the authority, there is the danger that the teaching and pedagogy would fall under traditional “banking” education, where the teachers are trying to fill the students with “knowledge”. When the teachers define themselves as all knowing, standing on the alter to look down the students as passive, empty receptacles, no equal conversation and idea exchanging would happen. The path of critical thinking and learning would be blocked.

Source: http://www.evangelicalsforsocialaction.org/happy-news/new-copernican-empowerment-dialogues/

Only when teachers realise the value of dialogic exchange between teachers and students, critical pedagogy just get started. Teachers’ self-reflection should be seeing themselves not only teachers but also learners. Actually, that works for students too, learners and sharers at the same time. When teachers walking down the alter to have equal dialogues with students, they learn and participate together. That will be the foundation of further critical pedagogy attemps. I like the picture above, I think that should be the relationship and self-reflection of teachers and students. No matter we are students or teachers, we are individual learners and sharers.

3 comments for “Walking Down the Alter to Have Dialogues

1. Jyotsana Sharma
    22 March, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Dan, I love the visual you added to share your point. I think this is a great representation of how ideas can be exchanged among educators and learners. It also reminds me of how sometimes the sum of two things can be something greater than just 1+1.

2. katherine phetxumphou
    22 March, 2017 at 5:45 pm

I love the figure. The idea of shared mutual respect can do a long way. The transfer of information is always a two way street, and the classroom is a perfect way to bridge this gap.

3. Michelle Soledad
    26 April, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Thank you for sharing, Dan, I completely agree with your reflections. I grew up with teachers who thought of themselves as over and above their students, and continued to work with them when I myself became an instructor. It is certainly not the best identity to assume as an instructor, and not the best way to interact with students. We are, indeed, all learners in the classroom – regardless of whether we assume the role of teacher or student.