Revision Plan for Thesis Proposal

I met with Dr. Quigley today about my plans for revising my proposal and thankfully there were very few surprises. The historiography is by far the roughest part of my proposal! Dr. Quigley’s major comment was that my categorization of my secondary sources may be counter-intuitive for the ultimate point that I’m arguing, which is that there were blurred lines between politics and religion during the Secession Crisis. With that in mind, I’m going to do my best to organize thematically as much as possible. I’m also going to try to bring in more sources that deal with the politics of the Secession Crisis, and some that potentially deal with issues of nationalism and citizenship as well.

My methodology could also use some refining. I’m meeting with Dr. Dresser from Religion & Culture next week and I’m hoping that he can give me some insight about how I can approach my sources. As I read more and revise my proposal, I’ll also try to clarify my research questions. My project is more and more becoming about the relationship between politics and religion during the secession crisis, but I think that some of that may have been a bit muddled as I tried to feel out how to articulate my argument section while writing.

There’s a lot of work still to be done, but thankfully I don’t have to start from scratch! The real challenge is going to be shaping that historiography section. Wish me luck!

Comments

Revision Plan for Thesis Proposal — 8 Comments

1. Not wishing luck! Wishing you a successful month of exciting work that helps you see connections between religion and politics and gives you a stronger sense of how your project relates to what others have written! Are you still thinking in terms of discourse analysis of the sermons?

• Inasmuch as I know about discourse analysis- yes! For the moment, I think I’ll be looking at major themes, repetitive language, and other things of that nature. I’m definitely going to read up more on discourse though to see what else it can help me glean.

2. Sounds like things are coming together with the whole religion/politics thing! Not sure if this would be helpful, but have you found any religious leaders who took on an active role in either politics or the military during the secession crisis?

• Good question! Yes, so far I’ve discovered that especially in the South ministers were a part of political conversations- for instance, the secession convention (of South Carolina) had several religious leaders within it. I’m not entirely sure that this is the case in the North. I’ll need to do some more research to find out!

3. Sounds like things are shaping up for you, Kristin! I want to say again that I really enjoyed reading your proposal, and if think you have a great start. I think you have a great committee and they are doing a really good job already of guiding you in the areas where you need them to. Happy revising!

• Thanks! Yeah, I’m really happy to be developing a committee that has background in nineteenth century US history and religion. It seems like it will be a great fit.

4. In this case, no surprises are great to hear! Nice to hear that there is someone from Religion and Culture that might be of assistance to your work, like me! Similar to some of your points mentioned, I too had/ have considered how I will need to change up some of my thesis’ categories; especially with regards to my focal lens. I will likley break it down from the perspective of craftsmen & builders, farmers and entrepreneurs within a southern colonial backcountry context. Looks like you’re on your way!

• Yep, the issue is that my historiography didn’t develop along the same course as my research and topic. Now it’s just a matter of aligning things again. πŸ™‚ Sounds like you are in a similar position with figuring out how to frame things. Good luck!