The Rule of the Written Word

Write a blog post?  No problem, right?  I’m in the social sciences, so I already write hundreds of words a week.  A few more would be easy.  However, I find it’s not.  Not because I can’t think of anything to say about blogging, but because writing it would be the least meaningful way I could use this space.

I have to write for classes, for journals, for a living.  But online and at home, the carefully crafted English sentences I spent so many years learning and practicing become somewhat irrelevant.  There are amazing people in my life whom I admire, whose full appreciation of any message requires that it not be written.  That’s where this blog can come in.

An example: a Wikipedia entry can tell you what autism is: “The autism spectrum or autistic spectrum describes a range of conditions classified as pervasive developmental disorders in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)… These disorders are typically characterized by social deficits, communication difficulties, stereotyped or repetitive behaviors and interests, and in some cases, cognitive delays.”

But Joshua Bennett can tell you much more than what you can read in an encyclopedia:

Joshua Bennett poet

Joshua Bennett, “Levi”

Computers and writing can do more than produce visual text; they now empower people who have struggled with traditional communication:

Dora Raymaker in “Loving Lampposts”

Next time, I’ll share some more thoughts on blogging and different abilities, for those who have a hard time reading what I’ve written here, but have no problem reading this:

f(x) = F_k^(-1)[F(k)](x)
= int_(-infty)^inftyF(k)e^(2piikx)dk