Delegate Meeting: Recap
- Unanimous approval of new special delegates representing the Disability Alliance and Disability Caucus (DAC)
Input requested from delegates and graduate students
- Keynote speaker for Graduate Research Symposium (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fundraising connects to restaurants/bars in Blacksburg (email@example.com)
- Mobile App (Virginia Tech MOVES) – pedestrian and bicycle data
- PT Townhall meeting 10/26 in Squires
- Parking and Transportation INPUT DURING FALL SEMESTER ONLY
Looking for new members (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Liaison(s) to SGA
- Liaison to Faculty Senate
- Liaison to Staff Senate
- GSA Judicial Committee
GSA action on Faculty Senate Resolution
- GSA completed a non-binding straw poll to gauge GSA sentiment
- Close vote (approve: 24, oppose: 29, abstain: 10)
- GSA to send out electronic survey to delegates
GUAC TALK with Dean Karen DePauw: 11/4
The Guac Talk with the Dean will take place NEXT Wednesday, NOVEMBER 4th from NOON to 1:30 PM in the GLC. No RSVP necessary.
The Guac Talk series is an opportunity for graduate students to sit down with Dean of the Graduate School, Karen DePauw and discuss student issues, upcoming events, recent news, student concerns, or graduate student initiatives. It is an informal sit-down session that takes place in the GLC lounge. Free chips, guacamole, and salsa from Chiptole is provided to graduate students.
Don’t miss out on the last Guac Talk of the semester!
Little Hokies Donate and Swap
The Little Hokies Donate and Swap is an opportunity for students, community members, faculty, and staff to provide gently used items for children ages 0-10. Come donate, trade, or take! This event is free! See attached for more information.
November 18, 2015
GLC Multipurpose Room
Donations accepted Nov 4-17
Locations for Donations:
- GSA office
- the GLC Welcome Desk, or
- the Women’s Center
- Any and all gently used items for kids ages 0-10
Want to volunteer?
- We need volunteers! You can volunteer as little as one hour anytime from 2-8pm (11/18). Refreshments provided. Ut Prosim.
Email email@example.com to volunteer or with questions with “Donate and Swap” in the subject line.
This event is co-hosted by the Graduate School and the VT Women’s Center.
Invent the GREEN Future
As the leaders of our student organizations the Sustainability Program Manager, Denny Cochrane, wants to once again remind and encourage graduate students to consider taking advantage of the 2015-2016 Green RFP Program.
- Now in its sixth year, this program provides students with a formal process to submit proposed sustainability initiatives to our university leadership for review and funding consideration.
We want to encourage you to consider participating as the process is very straightforward. This link addresses the submission process, evaluation criteria, timelines and the submission form: http://www.facilities.vt.edu/sustainability/GreenRfp.aspx It also includes samples of the Green RFPs approved and this will serve as an outstanding reference.
You may also view this information by going to the Office of Energy and Sustainability website: www.facilities.vt.edu/sustainability
Please complete the Green RFP form in “word” and submit it to me Denny Cochrane (Sustainability Program Manager) electronically at: firstname.lastname@example.org The submission deadline is close of business on November 11, 2015.
Don’t forget — Parking and Transportation: Town Hall Meeting TODAY
Monday, October 26, 4 to 6 pm
Squires Student Center, Brush Mountain Room
Community feedback is strongly encouraged. To share your thoughts and opinions, use:
For more information, contact Steve Mouras at 540-231-7912 or email@example.com
Travel Fund Program Open Now through November 6th!
The Travel Fund Program (TFP) is the GSA’s most popular program. The GSA strives to address the needs of Virginia Tech graduate students, and the TFP is designed to meet these needs by providing graduate students some financial assistance for presenting at scholarly conferences. Some eligible expenses include: travel expenses, registration fees, lodging, meals, and other miscellaneous expenses. The program also can be used to support international travel. The program is sponsored by the Graduate School and the Virginia Tech Office of the Provost.
Fall Cycle covers conference travel from July 1st – December 31st, 2015
- The date that your travel begins determines the cycle. Ex. If your travel begins on December 31st, you should apply for the fall cycle. (The travel cycle is not the same as the application window; see below)
- Funding is distributed as a reimbursement, making the payment easier for all parties.
- This does mean you likely will not receive funding until after your conference is over
- Updated and expanded application to help the GSA process your funds faster
- A marked increase in funding for conference travel from the Virginia Tech Provost’s Office – both for international and domestic travel!
No discrepancy between funding for Masters and PhD students
The next application window will open Monday, October 19, 2015 and closes Friday, November 6. 2015, 11:59PM for travel starting July 1st – December 31st 2015. The spring cycle is projected to open in March 2016 for conferences beginning January 1st – June 30th 2016. Applications for previous cycles are no longer accepted.
If you have questions, please contact Marie Stettler Kleine and Omchand Mahdu, GSA TFP Co-Chairs: firstname.lastname@example.org
GRDP OPENS Wednesday!
ALERT*** DATE CHANGES for GRDP
Applications for the Graduate Research Development Program can be submitted starting WEDNESDAY, October 28, 2015 through November 13, 2015 (11:59 pm).
If you have questions, contact the GRDP Chair at email@example.com (be sure to include “GRDP” in the subject)
Note: There have been a few changes to the program for 2015-2016 so please read all application sections carefully!
- Up to $750 for selected Masters proposals
- Up to $1,000 for selected Doctoral proposals
- For more information: http://blogs.lt.vt.edu/graduatestudentassembly/graduate-research-development-program/ (The website may still indicate 26th – 6th of November – THESE DATES ARE WRONG)