THANK YOU FOR A SUCCESSFUL GRADUATE RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM & EXPO!
Thank you for an amazing turnout at this year’s symposium. We were delighted to see so many graduate students take part in this event, and we received great suggestions and feedback on how to improve this program as we move towards the future.
Thank you to our keynote speaker, Abhi Nemani for his talk on technology and the future of democracy!
THANK YOU to our judges! Thank you to all our volunteers! Thank you to our Director of Programs, Chelsea Corkins and our great Program Chairs, Anthony Carno & Yesim Keskin! It was a fabulous program!
PDF, Short & Sweet Version
More information for all announcements can be found below:
More information for each announcement can be found below and don’t forget about our other programs including:
Still Concerned: A VT Faculty Initiative – Events This Week
In response to the visit by controversial speaker, Charles Murray, students, faculty, and staff have organized counter lectures, teach-ins, and protests.
Here are the numbers:
- Teach-In Lecture (Wed): 240+
- Counter Lecture (Fri): 98
- Student Protest (Fri): 100
- Murray Lecture (Fri): 103
More information and media coverage can be found here:
Beer & Wine Social: APRIL 8th, 5-9 pm
NEXT FRIDAY is the Spring Beer & Wine Social for Graduate Students. Come out to the University Club from 5-9pm for some beer, wine, sangria (no hard alcohol), and light food!
- $10 drinks+food (non-delegates)
- $5 food (non-delegates)
- $5 drinks+food (delegates!)
For more information see our website and RSVP to our Facebook event! https://www.facebook.com/events/238875233115004/
Attention Grad Students!
The DEADLINE for the travel fund program (TFP) has been EXTENDED to Sunday, APRIL 3rd @ 11:59 pm.
For more information visit on this program, visit our website: http://blogs.lt.vt.edu/graduatestudent…/travel-fund-program/
Remember, if you received funding from your department or outside sources, you can STILL apply for financial assistance.
Graduate Research Development Program Applications Open NOW – April 1st
The Graduate Research Development Program (GRDP) will be accepting applications 3/21 – 4/1 for the 2016 Spring Cycle. Winners will be announced in April/May. You can submit your application here.
The application consists of:
- Abstract (250 words)
- Project description (1,200 words)
- Itemized Project Budget and Fund Request Justification
- Timeline (a document outlining the timeline of your project)
- Validation (a statement from your advisor that he/she has read and approved your application and supports your project, and must include his/her signature.)
- Any Supporting Documents that enhance your application: this includes tables or graphs that help explain your project. You may also choose to submit references here to reduce your word count on the project description. This also includes any necessary IRB approvals, etc.
Any questions about the application process can be fielded by the GRDP Chair, Hannah Lane at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “GRDP” in the subject line.
Take Back the Night: March 30th – Sponsored by the GSA
This 27th annual rally and march raises awareness of gender-based violence, shares resources available locally, and gives individuals tools to help create positive change. The purpose of this candlelight march — an annual tradition on many campuses across the nation — is to bring together members of the campus and community to protest gender-based violence and to promote awareness of attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors that perpetuate this violence.Enjoy pre-rally music at6:30 pm; the rally begins at 7 pm.
People of all genders and ages are encouraged to participate, either as individuals or as part of a group, in the rally and march through Virginia Tech and Downtown Blacksburg. Organizations are invited to bring signs or a group banner. Raise your voice to help lessen violence in our community.
Together we’ll Take Back the Night!
2016-2016 GSA Officer Elections
- Nominations for President of GSA:
- Chelsea Corkins
- Nominations for Vice President:
- Brett Netto
- Nominations for Director of Programs
- Alex Hyler
- Marie Stettler-Kline
- Nomination for Director of Finance/Treasurer
- Omchard Mahdu
- Martina Svyantek
- Nomination for Director of Communications
- Samantha Freed
- Nominations for Director of Events
- Kisha Gresham
If you would like to nominate yourself or another graduate student (NOTE* they do not need to be delegates of the GSA, can be any graduate student), please see the following timeline of events:
- March 24: Nominations available until March 24 by 5 pm email@example.com
- April 21: Statement of intent due (250-500 words)
- April 25: Announcement sent out to delegates
- April 28: Elections
Please note* Nominations for positions will be allowed at the April 28th meeting, pending approval by the general assembly to allow new nominations to be included on the ballot.
Graduate Student Climate Survey
As a graduate student at Virginia Tech, your feedback is especially important to this project. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dannette Gomez-Beane.
Blacksburg to Northern Virginia Shuttle Service:
The Office of Parking and Transportation at Virginia Tech is asking all students and employees to take a brief, five-question survey to help the university gauge interest in a shuttle from the Blacksburg campus to Northern Virginia / National Capital Region.
Take the survey here: https://virginiatech.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b42QgNsos4Hkt1z
Graduate Assistant Position Available: Newman Library 2016-2017
APPLICATION DUE APRIL 15
Newman Library is looking for multiple Reference Library Assistants and one Graduate Assistant for the 2016-2017 academic year. The GA position includes a tuition waiver. The RLA positions are hourly ($15/hour) and do NOT include a waiver. Please feel free to distribute this info to all your constituencies!
Here are all the relevant links:
- GA/RLA announcement: http://www.lib.vt.edu/jobs/GA-RLA-announcement.pdf
- GA job description: http://www.lib.vt.edu/jobs/ga-job-desc.pdf
- RLA job description: http://www.lib.vt.edu/jobs/RLA-desc.pdf
- Application form (same for GA and RLA positions): http://www.lib.vt.edu/jobs/GA-RLA-application.pdf
Please note: the deadline is April 15 at 5pm!