Voting Items: GSA Delegate Meeting
Our next delegate meeting will be held on Thursday, October 22nd. We are in the midst of creating the agenda, but want to prepare you for our meeting’s voting items.
1) Resolution to approve special delegate
- Last meeting we approved the inclusion of special delegates to the GSA delegation.
- We will be voting on the inclusion representation of students who are members of the Disability Alliance here at Virginia Tech.
2) Faculty-Senate Resolution
All delegates should have received materials about the faculty senate resolution last week via email. Thursday’s meeting will include the following
- short comments by representatives from Faculty Senate, SGA, Staff Senate, and GSA
- short question and answer/discussion session
- voting on next action for GSA to take regarding the faculty senate resolution
What is the Faculty Senate Resolution?
The short, visual version:
- Current form of governance
- Proposed form of governance with faculty senate resolution
Please review the materials attached to the delegate email for more information. We STRONGLY encourage delegates to read through this BEFORE the meeting on Thursday.
Happening Now: GLC Events
As part of the GLC 10th anniversary events, the GLC is taking part in different events.
GLC Scavenger Hunt: Look for clues on Twitter, Facebook, and the GLC website. Remember to use #GLC10
- Graduate students are invited to participate in the hunt and win prizes (Kindle Fire and Fitbit sponsored by Career Services, among other prizes!).
- Submissions are accepted in three forms: photos via social media or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or raffle ticket submissions.
GLC Graduate Art Displays: Students can feel free to submit their photos
- Visit: http://www.graduatelifecenter.vt.edu/GLC10.html for more information
GLC Café: Thursday, Oct 22, 3:30-5:00pm (before the GSA meeting!)
GLC Multipurpose Room
- Get a limited-edition GLC mug (while supplies last)
- Enjoy cookies and coffee/tea in the company of graduate students
- Add your mark to our canvas for a community art project
GLC 10 Year Anniversary Celebration
You are cordially invited to the
10th Anniversary Celebration
of the opening of the Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown
Friday, October 23, 2015
3:30-5:00pm in the GLC Multipurpose Room
- Display depicting the history and achievements over 10 years
- Community art project
- Cake and refreshments
- Short program at about 4:00pm
Please RSVP by October 19, 2015 to email@example.com
Join us to celebrate and don’t forget, the GSA Beer and Wine Social will follow!
BEER & WINE SOCIAL: OCTOBER 23RD 5-9 PM
Join fellow graduate students for our Fall 2015 Beer & Wine tasting!
$10 for general admission
$5 for GSA Delegates
$5 for non-drinking participants
Showcasing local, national, and international beer and wine all while networking among researchers and colleagues. Food also provided throughout the event.
Check out our Facebook page for more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/1619367071647599/
Please remember that you must be 21+ years of age and present a nation passport, government issued ID, or Hokie Passport in order to drink.
(same location as Welcome Back BBQ, 100 Otey Street)
Want to volunteer?
Please contact Chelsea Corkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) or sign up for our volunteer listserv (email@example.com)
InclusiveVT – Graduate Student Input Desired
Dean of the Graduate School, Karen DePauw, and Vice President, Perillo want to get graduate student input on inclusive initiatives. They want to hear directly from you!
Bring your ideas to the Squires Commonwealth Ballroom – ideas may be implemented in Spring 2016!
Bicycling and Pedestrian App: Submit Your Data
The Virginia Tech MOVES smartphone app allows bicyclists and pedestrians to track their trip routes and provide feedback so that those working on the parking and transportation master plan can get a better idea of the experiences of bicyclists and pedestrians. How to use the app:
- Open the app before your walk or bike ride
- Keep the app open during your trip
- Submit your trip data and feedback through the app
Data from this project is intended to help improve bicyclist and pedestrian safety.
Don’t forget — Parking and Transportation: Town Hall Meeting
Monday, October 26, 4 to 6 pm
Squires Student Center, Brush Mountain Room
Community feedback is strongly encouraged. To share your thoughts and opinions, use:
GRDP Fall Cycle
Applications can be submitted starting next Monday, October 26, 2015 through November 6, 2015 (11:59 pm).
If you have questions, contact the GRDP Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to include “GRDP” in the subject)
Note: There have been a few changes to the program for 2015-2016 so please read all application sections carefully!
- Up to $750 for selected Masters proposals
- Up to $1,000 for selected Doctoral proposals
For more information: http://blogs.lt.vt.edu/graduatestudentassembly/graduate-research-development-program/