Taylor Mundays blog for ENGL 3844
RSS icon Email icon
  • My Infographic

    I decided to use Infogr.am to make an infographic with information about Virginia Tech’s youngest students – the class of 2017. A quick Google search of “Virginia Tech Student Demographics 2017” gave me all of the information I needed. Using information from Factbook: Student Overview and Freshman Snapshot, I was able to create a graphic pertaining to our freshman class.

    I started by selecting which template I wanted to use. I chose this one because the color scheme matched the data I would be inputting – the finished product would be predominantly orange, and Hokies love us some burnt orange. I would have liked to have been able to alter the color scheme of the template in order to have more options (you cannot change the color of the headings), but I was fortunate to have a ready-made template that matched my theme.

    Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 10.40.48 PM

    Once I chose a template I was taken to the editing screen, where I could begin inputting information. I started by changing the title and subtitle to something more relevant to my topic – “Virginia Tech Student Demographics … Information about the Class of 2017”. The template automatically put the heading in all caps, which draws the eye to the text and puts emphasize on what it’s saying. I’m not entirely sure I agree the title was worth that much excitement, but I appreciate the visual it created.

    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 10.41.51 AM

    I decided to limit the information to what would be the most relevant or the most interesting. I ended up using the top ten majors, the percent of students who accepted their offer of admission, the states represented by the freshman class, and a few other fun facts.

    I started with the most popular majors, because this information was easy to input. By selecting “Add a Chart” and then “Wordcloud”, I was able to input the information on what majors are preferred by the freshmen. I didn’t have an exact number on how many students were enrolled in which major, however. So I just made the major with the most students have the highest percentage, and gradually lowered the numbers until I got to the bottom of the list. I then went back and changed the colors to be all maroon and orange, as opposed to orange, cream, and blue.

    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 7.21.45 PM

    I really wanted to use the sites “Add a Map” function to show which states had the highest out-of-state enrollment. Unfortunately, the default map is a world map. After about twenty minutes of trying to input only US states to see if that would change the format of the map, I gave up. Instead, I copy and pasted the map that was generated on Virginia Tech’s Freshman Snapshot and inserted that into my graphic.

    I thought a pictorial would be a good way to include information on the breakdown of the class. How many students were valedictorian or salutatorian? How many were legacies? In the Corps? From out of the country? I inputted that information in the excel chart for the pictorial, and changed the colors to shades of maroon and orange. It was interesting to see the pictorial representation of how there was almost as many out of country students as students in the Corps.

    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 7.09.30 PM

    For the number of applicants who accepted their offer of admission, I decided to use a pictorial that would show percentages. I divided the number of students who accepted their offer by the number who were given an offer, and put that data in the excel sheet that the site uses to create charts. I was lucky that the pictorial was already maroon.

    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 10.59.53 AM

    I didn’t want to overload the graphic with too many images, so for the last few facts I wanted to include I stuck to using text. The site offers the option of including text in the form of facts and figures, however. To stick with the theme I chose to include this information that way, once again changing the colors to shades of maroon and orange and then using symbols that I thought didn’t distract from the information.

    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 7.20.09 PM

    After I added all of the information I wanted to include, I went back and added titles to the areas I felt needed them – I put a heading above the image of how many students came from which state that reads, “What states does the class of ’17 represent?”, added a heading to the word cloud that says “What are the Top Ten most popular majors?”, and titled one of the pictorials, “What’s the breakdown of the class of ’17?”.

    Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 4.31.59 PM

    Lastly, I rearranged the information into what I thought was a more appealing order. I didn’t like the way it looked to have a heading, a graphic, a heading, a graphic, etcetera all the way down the page. So I moved the pictorial for the acceptance rate to the top and put the information on SAT score’s and GPAs in the middle of the page to break up the monotony.

    Overall, I’m happy with the finished product. I think the graphic I created relays the information in a much more interesting way then the plain web document the information was originally published on. My graphic doesn’t look exactly the way I pictured it in my head before I started working, but I still feel I was able to create a professional looking product through the use of this site.