A Makeshift VR Headset

Pictures:

^ Playing Halo CE on the device

20141016_142315

^ The device with no phone

Skills used:

Rhino CAD, Autodesk Inventor, CatalystEX, Additive manufacturing, basic Mechanical Engineering

Description:

This is a simple 3D printed cellphone case attached to a pair of heavy reading glasses. Designed for use with the Gyroscopic Game Controller.

This was printed on a Stratysys uPrint SE Plus using the software CatalystEX, and assembled using a laser-cut acrylic panel and paper clips.

What really makes this interesting is that it uses a cell phone as a second screen using a software named Kainy, developed by Jean-Sebastien Royer. Kainy remotely accesses a computer running a video game and can remotely control it using the accelerometer in the phone, allowing the user to look around and have that translated into game movement.

While nowhere near the quality of Oculus Rift, it still allows the use of VR technology for approximately $20. There is a little bit of internet lag and no 3D functionality, but it is still very cool to play Halo: CE with it.

[Update 2/18/15: I decided to buy an Oculus Rift, so this is obsolete now.]

Pros:

• It is much lighter then my original idea for a helmet, weighing in at about 1 lb. compared to the original helmet’s 25.
    • It works for anything that runs off a computer.
    • Surprisingly comfortable to wear.
    • Open-air design allows the user to see infront of the device, allowing it to be used outdoors.
    • Kainy is an interesting software, and I have been dying to try out new things with this.

Cons:

• It has some slight lag, changing based on location.
    • Focusing on a point about 3 inches in front of one’s eyes begins to hurt after about 5 minutes.

Opportunities for improvement:

Focusing on the short distance causes eye strain rather quickly; I don’t think the lenses I have are large enough. I might need to break a magnifying glass to get the kind of focus I need.

Conclusion:

It’s rather quick and dirty. Not wonderful, but better than what I currently have.