Lost with only 2 sessions left

We’re together 12 weeks. This is week 11. I just completed (skimmed) this week’s reading, http://deschoolingsociety.digress.it/learning-webs/, written in 1971. Our final reading next week is from 1993. I believe next week’s reading will be the most recent reading we have for our 12 sessions. How is this a seminar on New Media, when the newest reading is from 20 years ago? On our first day, when our massive textbook was handed to each of us, I wondered why on earth we were getting a textbook for a seminar on “New” Media, but I figured I would wait and see…

So, what am I missing? A couple of the readings I’ve found insightful (Message is the Medium and this week’s reading come to mind), but other than nostalgia and, “gee, they were forward (or backward) thinkers back then,” what was I supposed to gain from reading about 40-60 year old technology and 40-60 year old technological thought?

BTW… I’ve found our discussions enlightening and enjoyable. I look forward to them every week. But mostly our discussions have not been on the readings. Maybe that’s the point? I just wonder what we could have been reading, that would have been more relevant. Or, again, am I missing the point?