Coursera and EdX: A Revolutionary trend in Education

One of the thing that is necessary in information and technology era is online studying. MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) are an attempt for spreading knowledge around the world. It is a new system that I think help people around the world to have access to education and as a result improve equality of education. Both Coursera and EdX provides free online courses in Humanities, social sciences, engineering, sciences and biology. Some the well-known universities such as Harvard, MIT and Standford participate in this project and recently American Council on Education approved five courses for college credits.
I think Moocs is a revolutionary trend in education and learning and it can help people specially from underdeveloped countries to have access to up to dated sciences but there are some problems in this trend. first of all, only few of courses approved for college credits so people can learn from various courses but they cannot earn a degree to show that at least they passed those courses. an other problem comes back to technological barriers specially for developing countries. Some developing countries such as Iran do not have access to very high speed internet and the infra structures of the internet are weak in these countries. People cannot download or watch the video of the courses and only text materials can be accessible. So I think if the first problem resolved then we can think about specific centers in developing countries where suffer from low speed internet so people can go to these centers and pass courses through those centers. But this idea makes sense for people if passing that course will be eligible and they can earn a certificate that proved those courses are passed.

Filed under pfp13f

3 Responses to Coursera and EdX: A Revolutionary trend in Education

1. reyhan

I am not a fan of online courses and I think class discussion and active interaction between the lecturer and the students and also group activities are more important and useful than just the lecture. Do you have any information regarding whether these activities are possible when you enroll to online courses? What is your opinion about the quality of such courses, are they as helpful as a real class?

• atiehv

Well I understand your concerns and I some how agree with you. However in some online classes I heard there is a possibility for students to interact (It is not applied to Open and Free Online Class yet). I checked some courses in coursera in my field and the quality of them are acceptable. Most of courses in these websites are presented by well-known professors from prestigious universities such as Standford and Harvard.
      In general , Online classes can not be the same as real classes and I agree that learning process in real classes are much more than online classes but think about people who don’t have access to real classes. for instance think about people who live in far villages and towns and their chance for admitting in a university are very low so these kinds of class will be very helpful for them and they can improve their knowledge so much! In fact, even a little is better than nothing!
      I think if the culture of our learning, education and teaching change, then online classes will be as helpful as real classes. There is a long way to reach this dream but in my point of view it is accessible in near future!

2. Pingback: Survey: MOOC Students Are Elite, Young and Male | Peace for the world